This plaster overmantle is on the wall of the bedroom in Bishop’s House. The room was built around 1650 and in 1648, William Blythe paid three pounds for “boards and plaster” from the ruins of Sheffield Castle. It is possible that the panels in this room are the boards and the overmantle is the plaster.
The woman’s head is the same design as one on a wooden overmantle from Greenhill Hall, demolished in 1964. The winged heads are copied from a pattern book published around 1560. Can anyone connect the design with Sheffield Castle?