Here is a description of Sheffield Castle taken from “Sheffield: Past and Present” by Rev. A. Gatty, published in 1873 and based on Harrison’s description in his Survey of 1637. References like this are invaluable in helping us with our studies.
“A spacious and fortified building, which covered four acres of ground, and stood between Dixon Lane, Waingate, and the two rivers Sheaf and Don – nearly opposite to the Victoria Station; whilst gardens and orchards, extending over fourteen acres beyond the battlemented walls, were spread towards the Midland Station, and in an easterly direction across the river Sheaf. The form of the structure consisted of two large courts, or quadrangles. The outer court contained the great hall and chambers used for family occupation; and the inner court on the south was composed of diverse dwellings for the officers, retainers, and servants: besides which, there was as armoury, also stables and outbuildings. Over the river Sheaf was a bridge, which led directly to one entrance of the castle; and a drawbridge communicated with the cultivated pleasure ground.”
Alfred Gatty (18 April 1813 –20 January 1903) was a Church of England vicar and author. A copy of this book can be bought on the internet for £48! Thanks to Peter Bayliss for this information.