We are currently preparing a schedule of events for 2017. If you have any ideas, or would like to help us in some way with running or promoting events, please get in touch!
This year, a group of second year students from the Department of Archaeology (University of Sheffield) have been tasked by the Friends of Sheffield Castle to devise an excavation strategy for the site of Sheffield Castle. If implemented, their work could throw new light on the Castle’s use and occupation from the Anglo-Saxon period to 18th century AD. As part of their project, the students will produce an exhibition of their work, and we would like to invite you to this exhibition.
The exhibition will take place on Friday, 12th May between 10.00am-12.30pm in the Arts Tower Lecture Theatre 8. We will officially launch the exhibition at 10.15am with a series of short presentations from each student group. After the presentations, you will have the opportunity to meet the students and discuss their work.
Saturday 17th June, 11am-4pm
With the weather forecast looking good and the flowers at the site now approaching their best, why not pay the site a visit this weekend particularly on Sunday when the Friends sponsor the Archery Day. You can have a go on the short and long targets. Medieval Archer Pete Lawton is putting on a display. The 1940’s blitz cottages will be open as well so as it is Fathers’ Day this would make a great family day out. Hope to see you there as I will be conducting some of the guided tours.
Dig Day at the Discovery Centre and Tudor Ruins. Get up close to archaeology at Sheffield Manor Lodge with family fun activities.
- Explore the Archaeology of Sheffield Manor Lodge
- Hands on Past. Dig down into the Heeley City Farm Finds Handling Collection and explore their dig box.
- Archaeology for the Senses. Archaeology is all about digging deep into the evidence to help us better understand how people live their lives, past into present. Join Stella in our Apothecary’s Garden to touch, smell and taste the stuff of archaeology. From decorating living spaces to preparing food and drink. Drop-in throughout the day.
- The Archaeology of Animals. Helene introduces us to the field of ZooArchaeology. Meet the sheep skeleton!
- Find out more about Archaeology in Sheffield with volunteers from Archaeology in the City
- History Tours: 11.30, 1.00 and 2.30
- Meet the Animals. Pet and groom the Manor Oaks Farm animals. 10:30am & 11:30am. £1 per child
- Donkey Rides. Join us for a ride on one of our donkeys, Lilly and Rosie. 1pm—2:15pm. £2 per child
- Ranger Activity: Butterfly Hunt
Sunday 18th June, 11am-4pm
Archery Day at the Discovery Centre and Tudor Ruins (supported by the Friends of Sheffield Manor Lodge)
Join the Abbeydale Archers for:
- Have-a-go archery (6 arrows for 50p)
- Traditional longbow demonstrations
- Show and tell with our medieval archer fresh from the battle of Agincourt. Find out about his weapons and life as an English medieval archer.
- Face painting with Mystical Magical Events.
- 1940s Open Day at Manor Cottages