Collection of Personal Information and how we use it
The Friends of Sheffield Castle take a proactive approach to user privacy and ensure the necessary steps are taken to protect the privacy of its users in their use of this website, through the course of their membership, volunteering or subscription to our mailing list. Your privacy is important to us, so we’ll always keep your details secure.
Whilst using our website, software applications or services, you may be required to provide personal information (name, address, email, account details, etc.) We may also collect financial information (payment information such as bank details for standing orders etc. and whether donations are gift-aided). This information will only be stored with your consent, after which time we may use this information to administer our website, applications, member, volunteer and event promotion databases.
We do NOT collect any sensitive personal data, such as information about racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious beliefs or other similar beliefs, trade union membership, physical or mental health, sexual life, and criminal allegations, proceedings or convictions.
We will ensure that all personal information supplied is held securely in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679, as adopted into law of the United Kingdom in the Data Protection Act 2018. Further, by providing telephone, email and address details, you consent to Friends of Sheffield Castle contacting you using that method. You have the right at any time to request a copy of the personal information we hold on you. Should you wish to receive a copy of this, or would like to be removed from our database, please contact us via our contact page.
How do we collect information?
When you use our site to communicate with us, subscribe to services or sign up for membership to certain groups you may choose to voluntarily give us certain information – for example, by filling in text boxes or completing registration forms. All this information requires a direct action by you at that time in order for us to receive it.
How long do we keep your data for?
Friends of Sheffield Castle will not retain your personal information longer than necessary. We will hold onto the information you provide either while you are an active volunteer, remain subscribed as a member or as a recipient of our events update emails, or as needed to be able to deal with any enquiry you have with us. We make contact with volunteers who fall silent for over a year to ensure they wish us to continue to make contact and store their data. We assume that members and subscribers to our events mailing lists wish to continue hearing from us until we hear from them that they do not.
We shall remove your data when you cease to be a member of the FOSC unless we are required to keep it in line with other legislation e.g. the relevant sections of the Income Tax Act 2007 relating to Gift Aid records.
If legally required or if it is reasonably necessary to meet regulatory requirements, resolve disputes, prevent fraud and abuse, or enforce our Terms and Conditions, we may also retain some of your information for a limited period of time as required, even after you have ended membership of any of our groups.
Where do we keep your data?
Our member, volunteer and events mailing list databases are stored on a password-protected spreadsheet file, acces8ible only to the membership secretary and treasurer of FOSC.
Choosing how we use your data
Friends of Sheffield Castle will not sell or rent your personally identifiable information, gathered as a result of filling out registration forms, to anyone.
We understand that you trust us with your personal information and we are committed to ensuring you can manage the privacy and security of your personal information yourself.
With respect to the information relating to you that ends up in our possession, and recognising that it is your choice to provide us with your personally identifiable information, we commit to giving you the ability to do all of the following:
- You can verify the details you have submitted to Friends of Sheffield Castle by contacting us via our contact page. Our security procedures mean that we may request proof of identity before we reveal information, including your e-mail address and possibly your address.
- You can also contact us by the same method to change, correct, or delete your personal information controlled by Friends of Sheffield Castle regarding your profile at any time. Please note though that, if you have shared any information with others through social media channels, that information may remain visible, even if your account is deleted.
- You are also free to leave our events mailing list or cease to be a member of Friends of Sheffield Castle, which you can do by using the unsubscribe links included in our mailshots of by contacting us through the contact page on our website. If you do so, your account will be deactivated. However, we may retain archived copies of your information as required by law or for legitimate business purposes (including to help address fraud and spam).
- You can always update your data by following the links in our contact emails or by contacting us directly.
- You can request a readable copy of the personal data we hold on you at any time. To do this, please contact us via the site.
We use anonymous session cookies (short-term cookies that disappear when you close your browser) to help you navigate the website and make the most of the features. If you log into the website, application or a course as a registered user, your session cookie will also contain your user ID so that we can check which services you are allowed to access.
Should users wish to deny the use and saving of cookies from this website onto their computer’s hard drive, they should take necessary steps within their web browser’s security settings to block all cookies from this website and its external serving vendors.
Please note, we are constantly reviewing how we process and protect data. Therefore, changes to our policy may occur at any time. We will endeavour to publicise any changes. If you wish to raise a complaint about any aspect of Friends of Sheffield Castle personal data management you are within your rights